Glimpsing Perspective

(Ex 24:12a) Come up to me into the mount, and be there

Details

Today I was having a discussion with my father while I was at work. This is not something unusual. I have some question or some smart remark and start a chat line, and it goes from there. I often try to pry his brain for opinions and thoughts over something I am reading, options in my life, whatever the case may be.

Without getting into a huge amount of detail, it has been an interesting past few days as circumstances in my life lead me for want of wisdom. Naturally I go to those I trust and tell them what's on my mind and gain feedback from them in attempts to gain wisdom. In addition, I have been in God's word, praying for guidance, the wisdom to know what to do, and the strength to actually do it.

Eloquence aside, it's hard to know exactly what to choose in life. I am a very firm believer that there IS an absolute truth (his name is Jesus Christ.) yet there are so many times in life where we are not choosing between right and wrong. We are choosing between tea or coffee. Blue jeans or sweat pants? To add another dimension, better or best?

Our life is so very full of choices - and they all have impact on us! Choosing the correct path is absolutely crucial in the life of a born-again believer. Throughout the entire bible you can see God expressing the importance of pursuing after wisdom, yet often times we tell ourselves the lie that our decisions don't really matter. What we choose about our jobs, our music, our friends, does not really matter.  It's a small detail. God doesn't care about those areas of our lives. He looks at the heart and teaches us to be followers of him. Small day to day choices don't matter to him in the grand scheme of eternity, so why worry about it?

When worded like that, it is easy to look and say, 'No, that is incorrect.' yet if that is truly how we feel, why do our lives reflect something else? If we understand God DOES care about the tiny, seemingly unimportant details of our lives, then why do we not turn to him about them? Why do we only turn to him when there is something impossible that needs to be done? Are we the judge of what is or is not great to the eyes of God?

When we decide to filter out areas of our life by what we deem to be important or otherwise, we are walking a very dangerous line! When we allow him in as Lord of our life, he becomes the Lord of our life. Lord of the 'I really need to go to the gym more often.' Lord of the 'I hate traffic. Hate it!' and Lord of the 'My sister is driving me nuts!'

He is the creator of life! He can handle the day to day grind of this world better than we ever will be able to!

I ask myself why it is so hard to be honest with God in these small areas of life. For me, it's not that I hoard them from God per say, but because they are such small details, I've never seen it as important so I never even think to allow God's influence over them. A part of me seems to correlate that because God is so 'up there' and so heavenly, there's no way that the day to day details of my life even apply to him!

How could they? He lives in the spiritual realm and that's a realm I catch mere glimpses of! I am very much a part of the physical realm and that is just how it is going to be until I reach the other side of eternity.

I can assure you that God is very aware of the physical realm, and in fact very interested in what his people write off as unimportant. 

Case and point, Leviticus.

I would like to say that after reading the book I gained an appreciation of God's holy nature, but I would be lying. I got to chapter three and shut my bible because my stomach was upset from reading (in vivid detail thank you) about boils and leprosy.

BOILS? Really?! God is moving his people to the promised land and he wants them to know about boils??

Put blunty, it was disgusting! I remember thinking as I was reading, 'Gracious Jesus - do you really have to be so discriptive? I don't want to know!!'

Isn't that funny though? God can beat me in the who can gross who out first game of life! There is nothing I can take to God that he isn't prepared to handle, no matter how large or small.

One thing that I did get out of Leviticus is that God isn't just prepared to walk us through the small day to day choices and situations we come to in life, but he wants to! Throughout the book, God is incredibly specific over what can seem like the tiniest of details to us, yet to God it is important enough that he decides to place these things in his everlasting word. He didn't have to bring any of those details up. He didn't have to explain to his people that touching dead animals is bad; he didn't have to explain any of it. After all, to quote myself earlier, God is so 'up there' and so heavenly, there's no way that the day to day details of my life even apply to him!

How very untrue and assumptive of me. God is the God of all that is so be it trivial or otherwise, he wants us to come to a place where we are willing to devote it all to him.

0 comments:

Post a Comment